- This event has passed.
Webinar: Anti-Asian Violence in a Divided Community
April 30 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm EDTFree
Trauma and Memory in Vietnamese America: Anti-Communism, Authoritarianism, and Anti-Asian Violence in a Divided Community
- Viet Thanh Nguyen, Professor, University of Southern California
- Hoi Trinh, Human Rights Activist
- Lan Cao, Professor, Chapman University
- John Phan, Assistant Professor, Columbia University
- Lien-Hang Nguyen, Associate Professor, Columbia University
On January 6, 2021, the former Republic of Vietnam (RVN) flag of the vanquished South Vietnam regime flew alongside the Confederate flag and other emblems of white supremacy on the steps of the Capitol. This panel, which includes Pulitzer Prize winner Viet Thanh Nguyen, acclaimed human rights activist and lawyer Hoi Trinh, Law Professor and author Lan Cao, as well as Hang Nguyen and John Phan, will discuss the contested memory of the Vietnam War, the politics of the RVN flag in U.S. politics today, and the impact on US-SRV relations moving forward.